Thursday, January 31, 2008

DEATH TO WRITING

I spoke last week about my writing situation or lack there of in my class this year... We had another meeting in regard to our new reading program, Read 180, and again we were told not to deviate from the program. The following is an email I received yeaterday from my principal. It was sent to me and the other Read 180 teacher who teaches 7th and 8th grade. I teach 5th and 6th. Tell me your thought, Please!


Please do not use the entire class on writing. You may incorporate a segment of writing but you must continue Read 180. 20 minutes should be enough time to incorporate a writing segment.

Thanks,

Roma J. Benjamin
Principal, Lincoln Elementary &
Alternative Ed.
Harrisburg School District

3 comments:

Robin said...

Would it help to remind them of the writing segment of the PSSA's. That usually seems to be a big motivator!

Amy Grab said...

Been there, Done that. That is why I am in tears most nights.

Robin said...

Well I think you maybe SOL if that didn't get them! My heart goes out to you... can you assign writing for HW and have them read them in class???