Thursday, January 31, 2008

BRITTON: DROPPED DEAD ... VYGOTSKY: ROLLED OVER IN HIS GRAVE

Reading Britton's Spectator Role and and The Beginnings of Writing brought me to tears. It also reaffirmed everything I believe wholeheartedly about reading and writing. "In the light of current school practices, it is as important as ever today to stress Vygotsky's view that learning to read and learning to write must be seen as inseparable aspects of one process, that of mastering written language."(167) Can I get this quote blown up to billboard size and post it in front of my school and get a second to post in front of our administration building? Since I have started working on my masters my philosophy and style of teaching has changed.

In one of my first classes I was told don't bother to write in your classroom if you are not going to make time for it everyday. Since that time I have tried to do this. I always knew writing was crucial, but as a teacher it was my weakness. I was unsure of how to teach writing. Because I was aware of that fact I decided I would force myself to improve. For the past three years I have attended workshops, read books, and taken classes to enhance my knowledge. And for the past three years my classes have loved to write until now. Writing has been placed on the back burner and no one in my district seems to have a problem with that except for me. Read the copy of an email I posted below and place yourself in my position. What would you do?

No comments: