Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Basic Aims of Discourse

The Basic Aims of Discourse - First thought - I need to look up Discourse? I have heard the word , but don't use it. I was relieved to see that Kinneavy defined what he meant by discourse in the first paragraph.
Second Thought - Did I miss something? I don't know about you, but after reading this article the word underwhelmed comes to mind. I wasn't sure if I missed something or if I just didn't get it. Perhaps this discourse was to far over my head to grasp, but after a second reading I am still at a loss. The question he intended to "investigate" at the beginning of his paper seems like an unsolved mystery.
Third Thought - Did he make any relative points that I can write about in my blog? The answer is yes. Kinneavy said the neglect of expressionism, as a relation to progressive education, has stifled self-expression in the student and partially, at least, is a cause of unorthodox and extreme forms of deviant self expression now indulged in by college students on many campuses today. (137). In addition, he states each aim of discourse has its own logic, its own kind of references, its own communication framwork, its own patterns of organization, and its own stylistic norms. (138) So what does all this mean? Teachers of Language Arts need to look at the big picture when teaching. Reading and writing go together and both need to be modeled, need to be discussed, need to be hands on, and need to be fun. If you take any piece away connections will not be made and learning will not progress.

No comments: